Friday 6 February 2015

Crochet / Amigurumi Baby Groot

This is my amigurumi Baby Groot (character from Guardians of the Galaxy), based on the free pattern by Smartapple Creations.

Crochet / Amigurumi Baby Groot
Crochet / Amigurumi Baby Groot

Since this was my first Baby Groot, I used the local Malaysian made acrylic Minlon brand yarn. It's acrylic, DK weight and really inexpensive at only 2 ringgit (about 50 US cents) per roll of 40gm. This yarn is very rough and scratchy, and falls apart when worked on too much. But it is very cheap. I use it for experiments, prototypes, and for making things that won't get handled too much or worn next to the skin.

I really like the ribbed look on the body and arms that was achieved through crocheting through Back Loops Only and combination of hdc, sc and sl st - very clever. Gives it a natural vine-like look.

When I first finished the body, I was worried about holes. The fabric was stretchier than normal because of the BLO, and when I turned the piece to increase stitches for the head, the holes were enormous no matter how I winged it! In the end, I decided to make the head separately and sew it to the body instead.

The rest were all done as per pattern.

Crochet / Amigurumi Baby Groot
We are Groot!

The one on the right is based on Twinkie Chan's free pattern - more here.
Which Baby Groot do you like?

No comments:

Post a Comment